Here is a mixtape of 10 favorite political protest songs. You are welcome to listen to them here or download them as one mp3 file:
I took my original list of 5 political protest songs, added 5 more, mixed them and put them here.
This is the list:
- U2 – Sunday Bloody Sunday – from a live performance in Rome (1987).
- Tracy Chapman – Talkin’ Bout a Revolution – from the album Tracy Chapman (1988).
- The Times They Are A Changin’ – Bob Dylan – taken from Essential Bob Dylan (2000). The song was recorded in the 60s.
- Ignoreland – R.E.M. – from Automatic for the People (1992).
- Russians – Sting – from The Dream of the Blue Turtles (1985).
- Fitter Happier – Radiohead – from OK Computer (1997).
- Have A Cigar – Pink Floyd – from Wish You Were Here (1975).
- The Queen is Dead – The Smiths – from The Queen is Dead (1986)
- The Restless Consumer – Neil Young – from Living with War (2006).
- Rockin’ in the Free World – Pearl Jam (originally by Neil Young) – from Live: 07-11-03 Mansfield, MA (2003).
I like all these songs’ lyrics and music as well. Most of these songs are popular mainstream songs, and a few are less known.
Like in the previous mixtape, Remember to buy the original albums. Iâ€™m not encouraging piracy of any form. If Iâ€™ll be asked to remove this mix tape by the ownerâ€™s of the rights, Iâ€™ll obey at onceâ€¦
There are lots of other excellent political protest songs. I created the list with some small help from this Vikki entry.
If I missed something really great (and I probably did), please tell me. I hope you’ll enjoy it.